Wednesday, August 13, 2008 | |

Imported from Facebook Notes; Friday, April 11, 2008 at 4:13am


I was going to write an elaborate blog, but someone's said it better already, so I'll just quote/steal theirs.


"I have a bad habit. A dangerously disastrous habit. In fact, this very blog entry is a direct outcome of that habit. What could it possibly be? I take naps . . . at night.

It's 4:30am.

For those that know me, you know my sleeping schedule is far from normal. Regular, yes...but definitely not normal. I'd say 4am is the average sleeptime for me. But lately, It's been pushed back even more because of my unexpected naps. You see, I sit and work here at my desk when I suddenly experience a wave of...tired-ness....? (Warning: my limited vocabulary may also be a result of unconventional sleep cycles). So I climb onto my bed and convince myself it'll just be a short nap. Yea just a quick nap at 3am. Stupid Erik. It's dangerous because most of the time, that's the end of the day for me. I'll be out till morning. Which, I guess, is my body telling me, "no more please." But I don't like that. My body can't tell me what to do. It's over when I say it's over! Also I hate the feeling of waking up after crashing the night before. If I don't crash then I'll wake up an hour or two later at some odd hour of the morning. I'll shower and that'll further drive me awake. It doesn't help that I get a lot of my ideas when I shower too, so when I come out, I'm super awake and ready to work. I'm pretty sure this whole routine is very unhealthy but sometimes it's worth it. Why?

I think I'm more proud of the work I produce at these early hours of the morning. (I really hope it's not just delirium). Let's say I'm writing something. At 5am, I'll finally get that one line that I've been struggling with...and that makes it all worth it. It's like staying up to find that one puzzle piece you've been looking for. You've been searching for it all night, everywhere. And then you look under your butt and you find it. The puzzle isn't finished, but you're one step closer. It's not productive at all but it is satisfying. A nice warm feeling, like the "still warm from your butt heat" puzzle piece that you just put in place. That's how it feels. Okay I'm tired now. Time for another nap."

0 Comments: