Back to Basics

Friday, July 17, 2009 | |

I'm goin' old school on this. I haven't written anything substantial in this in a while. I guess that's a good thing, as the amount of time I spend on this thing, is inversely proportional to the time I'm going out and being social. And after all, it's freakin' summer! And everyone's back from college!

Although there's been a few times when I started an entry, about something recent that caught my mind, like the Iran Election, or the movie UP, but I just saved them and put them into draft limbo.

And of course, there's the short, cryptic messages that no one has any idea what you're talking about that every blog has.
But here's a classic. Expect a LONG, rambling essay, written with equal parts insomnia, boredom, and reflection? For some reason, it seems like those are the popular ones. It still surprises the hell out of me. I have regular readers? That aren't just my close friends? And subscribers no less? I'm surprised I haven't bored the hell out of them. But if you're enjoying this journey I'm taking, you're more than welcome.

I used to think that I'd enjoy looking back on old entries, and laughing at how stupid I was. (Even though it was only a year ago, or less.)
But I'm just cringing now. Shit.

The sum of one’s life that one can look back on and calculate and review and evaluate is the feelings one is left with after anything. How one remembers high school, or birthdays, or friends is by how one feels about it through experiences. If that were the case, then wouldn’t it make sense to want to experience it all? It’s been argued that a person would never know what it is to be happy if the person was never sad. So in that argument, it would make sense that in a life full of peaks and valleys, a person has to have walked both paths, walked up and down those paths in order to understand it.

Most people do these things normally, but it’s another thing to be aware of whats happening. And then another completely different thing when one strays from the moderated life, completely aware that the purpose of doing so is to just experience the sake of living as much life as possible. Awareness.

- Ryan Feng (>http://justfeng.tumblr.com/)


Aware.

I try to live my life like this. I really do. I always try to remember, whenever I have self-doubt, or I'm worried, or nervous about something, that universally, "you'll regret the things you didn't do, more than the things you did."

Truth.

Since I'm social guy, I always try to make time to hang out with friends, or just any opportunity to get out of the house. I can't stand the thought of just sitting inside all day. Maybe it's good I don't have an xbox or a ps3 or I might be glued to that thing. But even those eventually get old.

Look at futile pursuit of happiness and it's sequel

What's really worth anything is people.

Pete Docter, the director of UP, wanted to convey in the film that,

"Basically, the message of the film is that the real adventure of life is the relationship we have with other people, and it's so easy to lose sight of the things we have and the people that are around us until they're gone. More often than not I don't really realize how lucky I was to have known someone until they're either moved or passed away. So if you can kind of wake up a little bit and go, "Wow, I've got some really cool stuff around me every day", then that's what the movie's about"

I think I'm very appreciative in that regard. I do know the value of relationships with people. One of the feelings I absolutely HATE, is the feeling that I missed out on something. It's safe to say that it's one of my biggest fears. Then again, isn't it everyone's? No one wants to miss out on life. "Live life to the fullest", isn't that the mantra?

It annoys me when people IM me on my buddylist, just whining over and over, "i'm bored. i'm bored. i'm bored."

Shit. Get off your ass, and do something about it. Some of the best times, is when you're with your friends, just shooting the breeze with boba drinks at quicklys, or just standing around at the beach playing stupid games and yelling like a ninja. It's not the point that there's nothing to do. Of course there's nothing to do. It's every freakin' teenagers' lament that, "THERE'S NOTHING TO DO."

What some people need to realize is, its not WHAT you're doing, it's WHO you're doing it with. (That's what she said. Ok guys be mature!)


Hmm. 4:11am. Not bad.

I need to get drunk.

0 Comments: