http://devilsyndicate.xanga.com/695396878/who-is-your-audience/
I really liked this post, in that it's so funny because I'm almost EXACTLY the same way. Granted, I don't use AIM as much as I did before college, but I too, all too often, posted song lyrics in my buddyinfo, myspace, facebook, even this blogger account.
"In middle school, I used to claim that the lyrics I put up on my buddy profile were lines that I found to be incredibly poetic, or that they described my feelings."
Haha. I did. But I hate to think that I had been supporting a middle school-esque habit. But I love music. Sometimes I get too obsessed with it, I like reading over, analyzing lyrics, and I LOVE listening to songs that I can almost 100% relate to.
Because I know I'm not as creative, nor as talented as some of these songwriters as expressing my feelings, "since someone else wrote it best, steal it from them."
The thing is, unlike Mish, I tried to never just post up whatever lyric I saw, but it had to meet certain "criteria". Haha. that sounds so pretentious and BS. but to clarify the context, most of the time I'd post lyrics is when I was emo or stupid. But I couldn't have lyrics that were too clear, or too depressing or too anything-but-ambiguous. Because then I would feel like I'm just crying out for attention and being overtly emo or something. A lot of people know, I like to keep a lot of things to myself.
It was almost like I was making a puzzle. Unless you knew some obscure lyric, of some obscure song, you wouldn't know if I was happy, sad, regretful, whatever. And even then, if you somehow managed to know the song, there was always the chance you would interpret it differently than I would.
Even to this blog, the song that I choose, I always choose very carefully. I think there are less than a handful of times I just put up a song because "I liked how it sounded" (although you could probably tell which ones those were, lil wayne anyone?)
So in case you're one of those people who doesn't actually pay attention to those songs playing on people's profiles/blogs. Maybe you should. haha. hint?
And to the question, "Who is your audience?". It was very selective, but at the same time, not at all.
It was simply anyone else who could understand.
wow, that sounds so lame.
it's 4am.
goodnight.
RE: Who is your Audience?
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 |
Posted by
Erik
|
Labels: facebook, insomnia, reflection, song lyrics, songs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
About Me
- Erik
- To borrow a few words for a crappy introduction,
Let's assume you all know me, and I know all of you (all eight of you reading this, that is), and move forward with the this and thats. What follows can serve as a blurry haze of itinerary-style diary entries, random rants, unasked-for-opinions, and the like, which hopefully can serve as confessions of how underwhelmingly human I really am.
Most of my thoughts come to me at odd hours of the night when all of you are tucked into your beds.
“It's at night, when perhaps we should be dreaming, that the mind is most clear, that we are most able to hold all our life in the palm of our skull. I don't know if anyone has ever pointed out that great attraction of insomnia before..."
- Brian W. Aldiss
Disclaimer: I find the most interesting blogs to read are the ones that the blogger writes to him or herself. It feels like I'm peeking a little bit into their mindset and their paradigm of the world. And so, I'm not writing for anyone, but myself. Chances are, it'll be boring, lame, and/or occasionally reflective and maybe even insightful? Nah.
Search This Blog
Labels
2009
(2)
5 centimeters per second
(1)
a moment with you
(1)
alameda
(1)
alameda high
(3)
Alcohol
(1)
animation
(1)
ap english
(1)
Asian
(2)
Basketball
(1)
bay area
(2)
beijing
(1)
berkeley
(2)
blogtv
(1)
Bob Dylan
(1)
Boston
(2)
Bruce Lee
(2)
career
(1)
Change
(1)
childhood
(2)
china
(3)
christmas
(2)
college
(1)
Commercial
(1)
concert
(1)
Cousin
(1)
Current
(1)
Dance
(1)
Death
(1)
deja vu
(1)
Dorm
(1)
Drunk
(1)
DVD menu
(1)
east coast
(1)
elementary school
(1)
Epic
(3)
essay
(1)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
(1)
facebook
(6)
fail
(2)
Fanime
(1)
far east movement
(3)
fashion
(1)
film
(2)
flash
(1)
future
(1)
goals
(1)
good will hunting
(1)
goodbye
(1)
graduation
(1)
graphic design
(1)
growing up
(2)
Guitar
(1)
Gundam
(1)
hamlet
(1)
Hangover
(1)
Happiness
(1)
harvard
(1)
high school
(5)
history
(2)
Hong Kong
(2)
immature
(1)
Insomina
(1)
insomnia
(9)
international secret agents
(4)
Jim Carrey
(1)
jin
(1)
Jumper
(1)
kitten
(1)
Korean
(1)
le petit prince
(1)
lent
(1)
Los Chocobos
(2)
math
(1)
Memorial Day
(1)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
(1)
Mistakes
(1)
My Sassy Girl
(1)
New Years
(1)
nostalgia
(15)
notes
(3)
nunchucks
(1)
obama
(3)
old friends
(2)
Pachelbel's Canon
(1)
Papercraft
(1)
philip wang
(4)
Philosophy
(1)
Ping Pong
(1)
pointless
(1)
politics
(2)
Portfolio
(1)
Postal Service
(1)
postsecret
(1)
procrastination
(1)
prodigy
(1)
prom
(1)
quotes
(4)
random
(3)
random musings
(1)
rant
(1)
reading
(1)
reflection
(13)
regret
(1)
relationships
(1)
resolution
(2)
Reverse Culture Shock
(1)
sleep
(2)
Sleeping In
(1)
song lyrics
(5)
songs
(2)
spider-man
(1)
Star Trek
(1)
stupidity
(1)
ted fu
(3)
thanksgiving
(1)
The One that got away
(1)
Third Eye Blind
(1)
Transformers
(1)
Twitter
(1)
Van Halen
(1)
video
(11)
Violin
(1)
Vomit
(1)
weather
(1)
wesley chan
(8)
Winter Break
(2)
wong fu
(13)
Work
(7)
Yao Ming
(1)
Yes Man
(1)
youtube
(2)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment