Post-Thxgiving Thoughts

Monday, December 01, 2008 | |

Thanksgiving break was alright. I wish it were a bit longer, I just started to get settled, and then bam, back to school.
I saw some friends over the break, and there was a potluck with the HS buddies.
I had an interesting spark in my brain that happened when I left, and had to give Michelle a ride home. As I drove Mish back, (or wait, she was doing the driving) we were shooting the breeze about whatever, and then she mentioned something about hanging out with the "cool asians" vs the "studying asians", and that was kinda funny to me. That got me thinking a little about High School, and how, from what I saw, it was very little like the stereotype depicted in 90's television. (I don't watch much tv nowadays, so I don't have a modern reference point) But, from the different schools I've attended throughout the years, I've noticed that there really isn't social hierarchy of "cool kids" to "jocks" to "nerds". Everyone is seperated into "cliques" (if that's what you want to call it) of some sort, but one isn't held in higher esteem than the other, and for the most part, they're independent of one another.
And another thing is, most people aren't monogomous to one group either. When I voiced that I saw no difference between the Asians, she laughed, and jokingly refuted that I was one of them! I guess, since I hang out with Asians, and am Asian myself, that I could be considered one of them, but I'm not with Asians 24/7. I just noticed I used the word "Asian" a lot in the last few sentences. Anyways, besides that, I also am pretty close to other friends that are at the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a double-edged sword. I could be "white-washed" or a "aZn". Aish.

I think I'm totally done with my "High School mode". I'd like to stick with a handful of close friends than a whole bunch of people I only kinda know.
Sunday evening, Marc called and left a message before departure, essentially seeing me off, before everyone returned to college mode. I thought that was thoughtful.
And I'm not even a phone person. Which brings up another funny story. Friday night, I went with Brian and Michelle to SF, and as I pulled up to Mish's place, I called to implicitly let her know I was outside, but she apparently she didn't know that, and went on with smalltalk, "So...how are you? How's the kids?" etc.etc. Like the Family Guy gag with Peter in the tub talking to Quagmire, "So...whatcha thinkin' about?"
Yeah. I'm not really a phone person. There's only been less than a handful of people I could talk to for prolonged amounts of time on the phone. ("prolonged amounts" being defined as anything that stretched beyond, "Sup. let's hang out. i'll be there in ten. later.")
Okay, maybe saying that I'm not a phone person is a bit of an inaccurate cliché. I guess I could say I'm selective (picky?) about people I talk on the phone with. I do appreciate that it's a quite a bit more personal than internet communication, but I still think face-to-face interaction trumps all. That is how I solved most "drama" problems I've come across. Really, that's how everyone should do it. Don't care if it's awkward, or makes you feel uncomfortable. Besides, it's hard for people to spread rumors, or talk sh!t when they're facing your front, and not your back.

I saw Gordan over the weekend too, which was nice, since I hadn't seen my midnight tap-ex buddy in 2 months. Along with Marc and Martin, we played Halo 3 into the wee hours of the morning, catching up, and sharing college stuff. He mentioned then that his best friends at UCLA, strangely enough, were those he knew from back in High School. I also noticed that when visiting UCSD, Teresa's group of friends, whom I initially thought were all newly met socal folks, were almost all from Skyline, or the Bay Area.
So is that why your college friends are supposed to be the friends you keep for the rest of your life? They're actually the same friends from high school?
Huh. Well I'll be. What a twist.
I wish I had that luxury.



Two Weeks.

1 Comments:

dt8k said...

I saw Ben West, Annie and Vicki at Sushi House on Saturday with a bunch of people.

I feel like the only college friends I can make are with those who are from the Bay Area.